"Navigating Patients Past Clinical Landmines: Treatment Implications for Women with Eating Disorders and Co-Occurring Substance Abuse"
Presented by Dr. Stephanie Smith
Registration: 11:00 am – 11:30 am
Lecture: 12:00 am – 1:30 pm
Lost Pizza Company
325 Mississippi 12 West
Starkville, MS 39759
About this workshop:
This presentation will discuss interactions of alcohol, drugs, and disordered eating behaviors amongst women ages 18-60. We will explore windows of clinical opportunity amidst clients’ shifting ego states and high risk behaviors. This will include an examination of the challenges involved in assessment and treatment planning, as well as methods of motivating engagement in the therapeutic process, with this clinically complex population.
About the speaker(s):
Dr. Stephanie Smith is the Clinical Director of the Women’s Center at Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services in Hattiesburg MS. Dr. Smith earned her Doctor of Social Work (DSW) in Clinical Practice and Leadership from The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. She has been a LCSW in the State of Mississippi since 2009. She served on the Mississippi National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Board as a Region 3 Representative from August 2015 - July 2017. Dr. Smith has specialized training in TF-CBT, child-parent psychotherapy, integrative treatment for complex trauma and forensic interviewing. She served as an expert witness testifying on behalf of vulnerable women and children from 2009-2017. Her areas of expertise include emerging adult depression, adult and child trauma, child welfare, mothers with borderline personality disorder, chemical dependency and couples engaged in high conflict divorce. Prior to joining the Women’s Center, Dr. Smith practiced as a Clinical Instructor and Clinical Field Specialist at The University of Southern Mississippi School of Social Work. Additionally, she practiced as a family therapist and clinical supervisor for the School of Social Work’s MSW Interns at the Family Network Partnership Counseling Center.
- Participants will be able to discuss the occurrence and prevalence of co-morbidity of substance abuse and eating disorders in women.
- Participants will be able describe strategies for engaging clients in treatment with respect to manifestations of pathological ambivalence.
- Participants will be able to identify and intervene within windows of clinical opportunity amidst shifting ego states.
- Participants will be able to practice open, honest, and direct confrontation skills while demonstrating empathic attunement.
- Participants will be able to outline an approach to assessment, treatment planning, and treatment engagement for co-morbid substance use and eating disorders.
The target audience will consist of professional clinicians in the mental health and addiction fields including counselors, nursing staff, social workers, psychologists, and therapists. Information will be presented at an intermediate level.
Psychology: 1.5 CE Hours (Pending): Pine Grove is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Pine Grove maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Mississippi Social Work: 1.5 Hours (Provider DP #SWB12013) Pine Grove is approved as a provider for continuing education by the MBOE & MFT (08/24/18 through 08/24/20). Social workers will receive 1.5 CE hours in participating in this course (Clinical 1.5__ / Supervision___ /Cultural Competency___/ Ethics ___ /General ___).
NBCC: (1.5 CE hours) Pine Grove has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6392. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified, Pine Grove is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Alabama Social Work: 1.5 Contact Hours (Provider #0336 through ABSWE).
Louisiana Social Work: 1 Contact Hour (Clinical: 1.5__ contact hours / Supervision___ /Cultural Competency___/ Ethics ___ contact hour /General ___). Continuing education credit for partial attendance will not be issued. This program is approved for 1 contact hour by Pine Grove as authorized by the Louisiana State Board Of Social Work Examiners.
Mississippi LMFT: 1.5 General Hours (Pending): Provider #TCE0003.
Ethical Disclosures for Speaker(s):
- Dr. Stephanie Smith is a paid employee of Pine Grove, an extension of Forrest General Hospital.
- There is no commercial support of the speaker(s), the content of the talk(s) or anything that might be a conflict of interest beyond the speakers being paid by Pine Grove.
- The speakers are not promoting any books, medications or training that will be for sale at the talk that might constitute a conflict of interest.
- The speakers will cover any potential limitations and risks of the treatment or topics being discussed during the talk.
- Some of the material covered is of a sensitive nature about addictions, ethical dilemmas and/or other clinical disorders.
Those in attendance must stay for the entire duration of the workshop; partial credit for partial attendance will not be awarded.
APA CE Statement:
Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Pine Grove maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services complies with the ADA. This facility is handicapped-accessible. If any conference participant is in need of reasonable accommodation, please contact Theresa Darty- King at 601-288-4945 prior to the event.
Please contact Theresa Darty- King at 601-288-4945 at Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services, 2255 Broadway Drive, Hattiesburg, MS 39401 to submit a complaint, or if you have additional questions.
There is no charge for attendance to this workshop.