"Ethical Considerations for Online Therapy for Marriage and Family Therapists"
Presented by Matt Quin, Ph.D. LMFT
Lecture: 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Pine Grove Turner Hall
About this workshop:
The presentation will discuss some situations and ethical concerns for relational therapist using teletherapy. The presentation will be geared towards beginners by discussing informed consent and safety of the clients. The presentation will also examine what the AAMFT code of ethics has to say about teletherapy.
About the speaker(s):
Dr Quinn received his Ph.D. in college and administration leadership in 2017 from MSU and his masters degree in Marriage and Family therapy in 2007 from USM. Dr Quinn has practiced as a licensed marriage and family therapist for the past 10 years, and currently works for the student counseling services at USM and also works for Pine Grove Recovery Center as a weekend therapist.
- Examine marriage and family therapy ethical concerns for online therapy.
- Examine the possible benefits of online relational therapy.
- Examine the need for proper informed consent when working with couples and families.
- Examine the AAMFT code of ethics guidelines for online therapy.
The target audience will consist of professional clinicians in the mental health and addiction fields including counselors, nursing staff, social workers, psychologists, and therapists. Information will be presented at a beginning level.
Psychology: 1 CE Hour (Pending): Pine Grove is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Pine Grove maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Mississippi Social Work: 1 CE Hour (Provider DP #SWB12013) Pine Grove is approved as a provider for continuing education by the MBOE & MFT (08/24/18 through 08/24/20). Social workers will receive 1 CE hour in participating in this course (Clinical __ / Supervision___ /Cultural Competency___/ Ethics 1___ /General ___).
NBCC: (1 CE hour) Pine Grove has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6392. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified, Pine Grove is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Alabama Social Work: 1 Contact Hour (Provider #0336 through ABSWE).
Louisiana Social Work: 1 Contact Hour (Clinical: __ contact hour / Supervision___ /Cultural Competency___/ Ethics 1___ contact hour /General ___). Continuing education credit for partial attendance will not be issued. This program is approved for 1 contact hour by Pine Grove as authorized by the Louisiana State Board Of Social Work Examiners.
Mississippi LMFT: 1 Ethics Hour (MS19-037): Provider #TCE0003.
Nursing: 1 Contact Hour: (approval Pending).
Ethical Disclosures for Speaker(s):
- Matt Quinn is a paid employee of Pine Grove, an extension of Forrest General Hospital.
- There is no commercial support of the speaker(s), the content of the talk(s) or anything that might be a conflict of interest beyond the speakers being paid by Pine Grove.
- The speakers are not promoting any books, medications or training that will be for sale at the talk that might constitute a conflict of interest.
- The speakers will cover any potential limitations and risks of the treatment or topics being discussed during the talk.
- Some of the material covered is of a sensitive nature about addictions, ethical dilemmas and/or other clinical disorders.
Those in attendance must stay for the entire duration of the workshop; partial credit for partial attendance will not be awarded.
APA CE Statement:
Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Pine Grove maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services complies with the ADA. This facility is handicapped-accessible. If any conference participant is in need of reasonable accommodation, please contact Samuel Rosa at 601-288-4915 prior to the event.
Please contact Samuel Rosa at 601-288-4915 at Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services, 2255 Broadway Drive, Hattiesburg, MS 39401 to submit a complaint, or if you have additional questions.
There is no cost to employees of Forrest Health. The cost for non-employees will be 25 dollars for attendance. The day of the talk, if an attendee feels that the workshop is not what was advertised, the fee will be refunded.