Students/FGH Employees: $25.00
Payroll deduction is available for FGH Employees
*Pay at the door available day of the event (CASH or CHECK ONLY)
Forrest General Hospital Cafeteria, Tree Room
6051 US 49, Hattiesburg, MS 39401
About the speaker:
Cory F. Newman, Ph.D., ABPP is Director of the Center for Cognitive Therapy, and Professor of Psychology, in Psychiatry at the Perelman School of Medicine at The University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Newman is a Diplomate of the American Board of Professional Psychology, and a Founding Fellow of the Academy of Cognitive Therapy. Dr. Newman has served as a protocol therapist and supervisor in numerous psychotherapy outcome studies involving the treatment of depression, panic disorder, substance misuse, borderline personality disorder, and other clinical problems. Dr. Newman is an international lecturer, having presented over 200 cognitive-behavioral therapy workshops and seminars across the United States and in 20 other countries internationally. Dr. Newman is the lead author on dozens of articles and chapters on cognitive-behavioral therapy for a wide range of disorders, and has authored or co-authored six books, including Choosing to Live: How to Defeat Suicide Through Cognitive Therapy; Bipolar Disorder: A Cognitive Therapy Approach and Core Competencies in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy: Becoming an Effective and Competent Cognitive-Behavioral Therapist.
Participants will conceptualize and/or implement:
- The diagnostic and clinical features of BPD and NPD, and how different subgroups (with different comorbid issues) warrant slightly different approaches to treatment.
- The methods of forming, nurturing, and maintaining a healthy therapeutic relationship with patients who typically have problematic, unstable, and/or conflictual relationships.
- Case formulations, including schema-focused case formulation.
- A wide range of therapeutic techniques, including teaching patients emotional self-regulation, communication skills, rational responding, and problem-solving.
- Clinical crisis management that keeps BPD and NPD patients safe, sets limits, and preserves hopefulness for both patients and therapists alike.
The target audience will be social workers, psychologists, licensed professional counselors, and other mental health therapists or graduate students in those fields. Information will be presented at an intermediate level.
Psychology: 6 CE Hours: Pine Grove is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Pine Grove maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Mississippi Social Work: 6 CE Hours (Provider DP #SWB12013): Pine Grove is approved as a provider for continuing education by the MBOE & MFT (08/24/18 through 08/24/20). Social workers will receive 6 CE hours in participating in this course (Clinical 6 /Supervision___ /Cultural Competency___/ Ethics /General ___).
NBCC (6 CE Hours): Pine Grove has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6392. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified, Pine Grove is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Alabama Social Work (6 Contact Hours): provider #0336 through ABSWE.
Louisiana Social Work (6 Contact Hours): This program is approved for 6 contact hours by Pine Grove as authorized by the Louisiana State Board Of Social Work Examiners. Continuing education credit for partial attendance will not be issued. (Clinical: 6 contact hours / Supervision___ /Cultural Competency___/ Ethics contact hour /General ___).
Mississippi LMFT: 6 General Hours: Pine Grove Behavioral Health provider #TCE0003. (Approval # MS19-033)
Nursing: 6 Contact Hours: Approval #00195-774.
Ethical Disclosures for Speaker(s):
- Dr. Corey Newman is a paid consultant for Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services.
- There is no commercial support of the speaker(s), the content of the talk(s) or anything that might be a conflict of interest beyond the speakers being paid by Pine Grove.
- The speakers are not promoting any books, medications or training that will be for sale at the talk that might constitute a conflict of interest.
- The speakers will cover any potential limitations and risks of the treatment or topics being discussed during the talk.
- Some of the material covered is of a sensitive nature about addictions, ethical dilemmas and/or other clinical disorders.
Those in attendance must stay for the entire duration of the workshop; partial credit for partial attendance will not be awarded.
APA CE Statement:
Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Pine Grove maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services complies with the ADA. This facility is handicapped-accessible. If any conference participant is in need of reasonable accommodation, please contact Samuel Rosa at 601-288-4915 prior to the event.
Please contact Samuel Rosa at Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services, 2255 Broadway Drive, Hattiesburg, MS 39401 to submit a complaint, or if you have additional questions.
Forrest General Hospital is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Mississippi Nurses Foundation, Inc., an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
The day of the talk, if an attendee feels that the workshop is not what was advertised, the fee will be refunded on request.