The purpose of this presentation will be to educate professionals regarding the role and use of Medication Assisted Therapy (MAT) in the treatment of substance use disorders. This will include a discussion around specific medications used for these purposes, including their indications and mechanisms of action, as well as when they are appropriate to use. The overall goals of this talk will be to increase awareness and understanding of the issues involved in MAT, decrease some of the possible stigma around using medications for substance use disorder patients, and examine the potential role of MAT in treatment retention.
About the speaker:
Dr. Charles “Chaz” Richardson is a graduate of Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine, in Blacksburg, VA and completed his psychiatry residency at The University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, MS. Dr. Richardson completed his fellowship in Addiction Psychiatry at Emory University in Atlanta, GA and is a member of the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, American Psychiatric Association, and Mississippi State Medical Association. Dr. Richardson joined the Pine Grove staff in 2018 and currently evaluates and treats adult patients for Pine Grove’s inpatient and residential treatment programs.
The target audience will consist of professional clinicians in the mental health and addiction fields including psychologists, counselors, social workers, and therapists. Information will be presented at an intermediate level.
- Participants will be able to identify the medications used in MAT.
- Participants will be able to describe each mechanism of action for the medications.
- Participants will be able to explain the difference between a full agonist and a partial agonist.
- Participants will be able to explain the criteria for the appropriateness of using MAT.
Psychology: (1 CE Hour) Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Mississippi Social Work: (1 CE Hour) (Provider DP #SWB12013) Pine Grove is approved as a provider for continuing education by the MBOE & MFT (08/24/20 through 08/24/22). Social workers will receive 1CE hour in participating in this course (Clinical _ / Supervision___ /Cultural Competency___/ Ethics ___ /General ___).
NBCC: (1 CE Hour) Pine Grove has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6392. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified, Pine Grove is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Mississippi LMFT: (1 General CE Hour): Provider #TCE0003; Approval # MS21-009
Alabama Social Work: (1 Contact Hour) (Provider #0336 through ABSWE).
Louisiana Social Work: (1 Contact Hour pending): (Clinical: 1__ contact hour / Supervision___ /Cultural Competency___/ Ethics ___ contact hour /General ___). This program is approved for 1 contact hour by Pine Grove as authorized by the Louisiana State Board Of Social Work Examiners.
Nursing: (1 Contact Hour); (Approval number pending).
Ethical Disclosures for Speaker(s):
- Dr. Charles “Chaz” Richardson is an employee of Forrest General Hospital.
- There is no commercial support of the speaker(s), the content of the talk(s) or anything that might be a conflict of interest beyond the speakers being paid by Pine Grove.
- The speaker is not promoting any books, medications or training that will be for sale at the talk that might constitute a conflict of interest.
- The speaker will cover any potential limitations and risks of the treatment or topics being discussed during the talk.
- Some of the material covered is of a sensitive nature about addictions, ethical dilemmas and/or other clinical disorders.
Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services complies with the ADA. This facility is handicapped-accessible. If any conference participant is in need of reasonable accommodation, please contact Angela Gray (601-270-8515) prior to the event.
Please contact Angela Gray (601-288-4945) at Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services, 2255 Broadway Drive, Hattiesburg MS 39401 to submit a complaint, or if you have additional questions.
APA CE Statement:
Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Forrest General Hospital is approved as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by The Mississippi Nurses Foundation, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
There is no cost for attendance to this event.