Pine Grove’s 35th Anniversary Celebration
"Where There’s Hope: Embracing the Future with Elizabeth Smart"
Tuesday, February 19, 2019
11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
The University of Southern Mississippi
Thad Cochran Center 3rd Floor Ballrooms
*Online registration is currently closed as this event is near capacity. A very limited number of individual tickets are still available. Please contact the Forrest General Healthcare Foundation at 601-288-4396 or Pine Grove's Director of Business Development Colleen Munkel at 601-288-4834 for ticket information.
This event is proudly sponsored by these generous donors:
The Mapp Family Foundation
This very special event includes a celebratory luncheon commemorating Pine Grove’s 35 years of providing hope and healing to children, adolescents and adults who are struggling with behavioral health care and addiction issues. The keynote address is being provided by Elizabeth Smart, one of America’s most well-known child abduction survivors and a highly respected advocate for national child safety legislation.
The Spiritual Grounds Project
Proceeds from this event will benefit Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services’ Spiritual Grounds project. The Spiritual Grounds, located on Pine Grove’s main 22 acre campus in Hattiesburg, MS, has long been a place of contemplation and self-discovery for patients and alumni. The Spiritual Grounds project consists of several therapeutic elements including a meditative labyrinth, fire circle and the Paul McMullan Circle of Healing Plaza. With your support, Pine Grove plans to further develop their Spiritual Grounds with the addition of a chapel. Pine Grove’s chapel will offer patients, their family members and alumni a dedicated place for prayer, fellowship and acceptance. The purpose of the chapel is to help Pine Grove’s patients on their journey towards health, wisdom and renewal. Additional plans for the Spiritual Grounds, which is a project of the Forrest General Healthcare Foundation, include a water feature and bell tower.
Click here for more information about Pine Grove's Spiritual Grounds.
About Elizabeth Smart
The abduction of Elizabeth Smart was one of the most followed child abduction cases of our time. Elizabeth was abducted on June 5, 2002, and her captors controlled her by threatening to kill her and her family if she tried to escape. Fortunately, the police safely returned Elizabeth back to her family on March 12, 2003, after being held a prisoner for 9 grueling months. Through this traumatic experience, Elizabeth has become an advocate for change related to child abduction, recovery programs and National legislation. The Founder of the “Elizabeth Smart Foundation,” Elizabeth has also helped promote The National AMBER Alert, The Adam Walsh Child Protection & Safety Act and other safety legislation to help prevent abductions.
Elizabeth has chronicled her experiences in the New York Times best-selling book, My Story, and she recently released a new powerful and inspiring book about what it takes to overcome trauma, find the strength to move on and reclaim one’s life. Where There’s Hope is the result of Elizabeth’s mission. She attended Brigham Young University, studying music as a harp performance major. Elizabeth married her husband Matthew in 2012, and they have two beautiful children. Elizabeth’s example is a daily demonstration that there really is life after tragedy.
Levels of Support
To purchase a table (seats 10) or individual tickets for the event, please complete the donation form or contact the Forrest General Healthcare Foundation at:
The Forrest General Healthcare Foundation
Forrest General Support Services Building
125 S. 28th Ave. Suite 149
Hattiesburg, MS 39401
For complete sponsorship information or additional questions, please contact:
Colleen M. Munkel, MA
Director of Business Development
Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services
About the Forrest General Healthcare Foundation
The Forrest General Healthcare Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Forrest General Hospital. The establishment of the Foundation helps ensure the hospital’s We C.A.R.E. vision and mission is supported.
Click here for more information about the Forrest General Healthcare Foundation.
About Pine Grove Behavioral Health " Addiction Services
Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services is the behavioral health care extension of Forrest General Hospital. Pine Grove’s world renowned programs treat chemical addiction in men and women including a specialized track for women with co-occurring eating disorders. Other Pine Grove specialty programs include a dedicated professional’s treatment curriculum and a comprehensive evaluation center. Pine Grove also features a program for patients with sexual addiction. Inpatient Services including an Adult Psychiatric Unit, along with a Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Unit, and Outpatient Services are other components. Pine Grove was established in 1984 and has provided nationally and internationally recognized health care for 35 years.
Some notable facts about Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services:
- Since 1984, it is estimated that Pine Grove has provided healing care to more than 100,000 patients.
- Pine Grove has treated patients from nearly every county in Mississippi, with a majority of those patients being from Forrest, Lamar and neighboring Pine belt counties.
- Pine Grove provides annual educational workshops locally and regionally for health care professionals, and community wide presentations for parents, students and educators on relevant mental health and addiction awareness topics. These educational programs are offered at no cost to attendees.
- Approximately 25% percent of Pine Grove’s patients are children and adolescents.
- On average, Pine Grove provides about $400,000 worth of charitable care annually to patients on our inpatient units and those receiving outpatient care, with a majority of this charitable care helping patients from the local counties of Forrest, Lamar and surrounding Pine belt communities.
- Pine Grove has cared for more than ten thousand patients who have suffered from addiction, including chemical and sexual addiction.
- Pine Grove has treated patients from all 50 states and more than a dozen countries. Some of the countries where patients who have been treated at Pine Grove are from include: Canada, Chile, China, Columbia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Netherlands, Pakistan, Singapore, Switzerland, Ukraine, and United Kingdom.