"LGBTQ+ Youth in Today’s AmericaFocus on Trans Issues"
Presented by Trish Brix-Baskin, LCSW
Lecture: 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Pine Grove, Turner Hall
This presentation focuses on transgender youth in our county and introduces terms relevant to the community. It explains the differences within the LGBTQ community at large and a glimpse of what it is like to live in this community. It will focus on social, legal, and mental health issues as well as discuss ways in which professionals can help individuals in the transgender community with a focus on transgender youth.
About the speaker(s):
Trish Brix-Baskin received her Bachelor’s degree in Youth Ministry from Columbia International University and her Master’s degree in Social Work from the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, MS. She pursued her LCSW while practicing as a clinician at Pine Belt Mental Healthcare Resources, a community mental health agency, located in Ellisville and Collins, MS. At Pine Belt Mental Healthcare Resources, she provided group, family and individual therapy, assessments and emergency services for elderly and adult clients with limited financial resources. Her clinical experiences include clients with various disorders including mood, personality, substance use, trauma and neuro-developmental disorders. Ms. Brix-Baskin started working with Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services’ Outpatient program, named Choices, in 2015. She is a member of the Treatment Team for the Forrest County Juvenile Drug Court, and provides both individual and group therapy for participating clients. She is also a clinical therapist with Pine Grove’s Outpatient Services serving adolescents and families outside of the Choices program, who are dealing with substance abuse as well as depression and anxiety related disorders. She is an adjunct supervisor for interns, who work with children and adolescents, with Pine Grove’s Outpatient Services Rotation.
- Participants will be able to define terms relevant to the transgender community.
- Participants will be able to explain the differences between sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Participants will be able to explain the implications of mental health and intersectionality.
- Participants will be able to describe current social, legal, and cultural situations for transgender individuals in the United States today.
- Participants will be able to discuss ways in which we as professionals can best serve this unique population.
Professional clinicians in the mental health and addiction fields who are counselors, social workers, psychologist, nursing staff and therapists and who work with psychiatric patients.
Psychology: 1 CE Hour: Pine Grove is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Pine Grove maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
NBCC: 1 CE Hour: Pine Grove has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6392. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified, Pine Grove is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Mississippi Social Work: 1 CE hour Cultural Competency: Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services (DP# SWB12013) is approved as a provider for continuing education by the MBOE & MFT Approval Period: 08/24/16 through 08/24/18. Social workers will receive 1 CE hour in participating in this course. (Clinical ___ /Supervision___ /Cultural Competency_1__/ Ethics Hours /General ___ General Hours ).
Alabama Social Work: 1 Contact Hour: (Provider #0336 through ABSWE).
Mississippi LMFT: 1 General Hour: MS17-062, Provider #TCE0003.
Nursing: 1 contact hour (Approval Number 00195-737).
Ethical Disclosures for Speaker(s):
- Trish Brix-Baskin is an employee of Forrest General Hospital.
- There is no commercial support of the speaker(s), the content of the talk(s) or anything that might be a conflict of interest beyond the speakers being paid by Pine Grove.
- The speaker is not promoting any books, medications or training that will be for sale at the talk that might constitute a conflict of interest.
- The speaker will cover any potential limitations and risks of the treatment or topics being discussed during the talk.
- Some of the material covered is of a sensitive nature about addictions, ethical dilemmas and/or other clinical disorders.
Those in attendance must stay for the entire duration of the workshop; partial credit for partial attendance will not be awarded.
APA CE Statement:
Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Pine Grove maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services complies with the ADA. This facility is handicapped-accessible. If any conference participant is in need of reasonable accommodation, please contact Samuel Rosa at 601-288-4915 prior to the event.
Please contact Samuel Rosa at Pine Grove Behavioral Health & Addiction Services, 2255 Broadway Drive, Hattiesburg, MS 39401 to submit a complaint, or if you have additional questions.
Forrest General Hospital is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Mississippi Nurses Foundation, Inc., an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
There is no cost to employees of Forrest Health. The cost for non-employees will be 25 dollars for attendance.